Topic 6: Area and Population

We’ve been learning about all kinds of incredible ways that we use math and numbers in the real world. Math is around us every single day, we often just don’t stop to think about it. Math can be found when we walk into stores, when we look at how many watts are in a lightbulb in our house, or even when we are using up gas in a car. Now, look around you. Is there anyone else in the room with you? How big or small is the room that you’re in right now? Math is tied into those ideas as well!

When we’re trying to determine how many people live in a certain place, that’s called population. The population of a country is just how many people live there. Do you know what the most populated country is? How about the second most populated? I think you’d be surprised to know just how many people live in those countries!

A lot of times when working with the population of countries, we use something called population density. This refers to the number of people compared to the size of a state or country. For example, New Jersey has the highest population density in the United States. This means it has the highest number of people living within its area. In order to determine that, not only is the population important to calculate but also the area.

As mentioned above, area is also an important math concept that we use when looking at states or countries. Area represents the size of something that is 2-dimensional. In math, we often try to find the area of shapes such as rectangles, triangles, and circles. This same idea is used to find the area of places where people live. Do you know what country has the largest area?

Check out our slideshow that we made to share some interesting facts we found about population and area. See if you can answer some of the math problems that we presented.

————————————————–

Were you able to solve any of the problems in the slideshow? Which one did you try and what did you find for an answer?

Can you come up with a math problem from the information we shared? If so, please share it here and we’ll try to answer it!

3 thoughts on “Topic 6: Area and Population

1. Dear Mr Avery’s Class,
    Your post really got us thinking about population and area! It was all new stuff for us, so there was lots of great discussion. It really made us think about how HUGE the United States is in comparison to the UK.
    Your state of Massachusetts is bigger than the country of Wales, and bigger than Northern Ireland!
    The population of Massachusetts is bigger than the population of Ireland, or Wales, or Scotland! That really gave us something to think about.
    Here’s a maths question for you – you will need to look at A Room with a View’s post: What is the difference between the area and population of Massachusetts and the area and population of England?
    From
    Mrs Monaghan &
    A Room with a View

2. Dear Mr. Avery and class,

Great post!!

Your post helped me learn a lot about area and population. That is amazing how many people live in China compared to how many people live in Rhode Island!! See if you can figure out how many more people live in China than in Rhode Island. If you can’t that’s ok because that one is pretty tough. I am wondering if you know the population of CT? I try to look it up on my computer but it didn’t give me results from 2013. Feel free to give me a math problem to solve and I’ll try to solve it!!

Your blogging buddy,
    Sandy (in Mr.Salsich’s class)

3. Dear Mr. Avery and class,

This was an information packed post and had me consider a few ideas about Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, New Zealand and U.S.A..

1. Which country had the largest area?
    2. Which has the highest population?
    3. Which has the highest population density?

Population density is worked out by dividing the number of people by the area of land. It gives a number telling us how many people there are per square kilometre (or mile). Here is a link to what I found…

http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2013/05/08/comparing-population-densities-of-australia-canada-great-britain-new-zealand-and-u-s-a/

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia