Topic Five: Australian Animals

4KM and 4KJ have enjoyed catching up on all the animal posts after their two week holiday.

We would like to share some mathematical facts about Australian animals with you.

Two of the most well known Australian animals are the kangaroo and the koala.

Here is Miss Jordan with a koala at Dreamworld on the Gold Coast (Queensland).

Mrs Morris and her husband took their niece and nephew to a local wildlife park where the ranger introduced them to a koala. (3 year old Wyatt was a bit nervous of this friendly marsupial!)

Here is Rochelle meeting a kangaroo at Dreamworld.

Charlotte came across a kangaroo at Ballarat Wildlife Park.Β 

Can you share any information about the koala or the kangaroo?

Have you ever seen a koala or a kangaroo?

What is your favourite Australian animal and why?

31 thoughts on “Topic Five: Australian Animals

1. Hello 4KM and 4KJ,

Great factual facts and photos!

I have seen a Kangaroo and a Koala in the bush. They are very interesting creatures.

My favourite Australian animals are the Australian Riding Pony and the Australian Stock Horse. They are my favourite Australian animals because they are horses. Also another of my favourites is a Brumby.

Goodbye,
    Jordi

P.S- Here is a link to fin out about the Brumby, Australian riding pony and Australian stock horse:

Australian Stock Horse:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Stock_Horse
    Brumby:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brumby
    Australian Riding Pony:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Riding_Pony

• Hi jordi
      Nice comment my favorite out of Kangaroo and koala is a koala
      because they are so fluffy and and cute.If I could pick any Australian animal is dog and a cat

From Shaun

2. Hi 4KM and 4KJ,

What a great post,

Thanks for putting my picture on our world our numbers, When we went to the wildlife park we could bye some food for the kangaroos, when we where in the park there was lots of kangaroos roaming around.

There was a big open space that had some kangaroos and one had a little baby her pouch. speaking of pouches I have a fact about kangaroos that they carry their babies in there pouch their babies are called joyes, one more fact That Kangaroos have big strong back legs and they use their tails to help them hop.

My favourite aussie animal Is the kangaroo I love them because of how fast they hop, they have sharp claws as well, when I was feeding one he had long, sharp claws.

See you tomorrow,

Charlotte

• Hi 4KM and 4KJ

Hi Charlotte I have been to the same wildlife park that you went to I got a bag of food as well. My brother got a bag of food as well the kangaroo snatched the food out of my brothers bag of food.

From Jayden :mrgreen:

3. Dear 4KM and 4KJ,

Great post!

Another fact about koala bears is that there population has dropped 90%,Now there are only 8,000 left. I have never seen a koala bear or a kangaroo in my whole life! Do you see koala bears or kangaroos often? Which one do you see the most?

Your Blogging Buddy,
    Sandy (in Mr.Salsich’s class)

4. Dear 4KM and 4KJ,

I found you post fascinating. I have seen koalas and kangaroos in the wild as well as in nature reserves, animals sanctuaries and zoos. They are fascinating.

In 1981 and 1982 I was in a small one teacher country school about 100km from the closest town. When some workmen had taken down part of the fence, one of my morning tasks on arriving was chasing out any stray red kangaroos or emus on the school playground. Where I am now I don’t see emus or red kangaroos in the wild but I often see eastern grey kangaroos and swamp wallabies.

My Extended Comments blog has often featured animals in posts. You may have seen I shared some links on the posts for other “Our World, Our Numbers” classes. Because I enjoyed your post so much, I will be putting together a post so I can share some koala and eastern grey kangaroo video clips I haven’t shared on line before. This may take a few days because I have to process some of the video clips but I will let you know when it’s done.

You’ll be able to see Sapphire, the baby koala born in Potoroo Palace and a mob of eastern grey kangaroos and perhaps a close-up of a eastern grey joey. Animals are fascinating and my local animal sanctuary is a great way of meeting some of them.

@RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear RossMannell

What a great comment there’s no way I could leave a comment that big.

I have seen a Koala and a Kangaroo I really want to see another one because they are so cute.

I have seen lots of animals like emus Kangaroos Koalas and that’s about all.

your blogging buddy Connor F

• Dear Connor,

When I was your age I was in the cubs then scouts. My hiking and outdoor activities often had me seeing animals. Little has changed as I see wallabies and kangaroos almost every time I go hiking. More rarely I see wombats, echidna, lyrbids, snakes and lizards.

Hiking can bring great experiences providing you know where you are and not to touch wild animals.

Ross Mannell

5. Dear 4KM and 4KJ,

I love your post about koalas and kangaroos. My name is Peter and I am in Mrs. Yollis’ class. I have some facts about the koala. Here they are: the koala looks like a teddy bear, although it’s living. Another one is they have sharp, carved claws. My last one is koalas were once were hunted by humans for their fur.

Did you know these facts?

Warmly,

Peter

• Hi Peter,

My name is Charlotte and I am from 4KM and 4KJ this year.

I did know those facts, koalas are very cute and yes they do have sharp, carved claws I got to pat a koala and it claws where sharp!

Your Blogging buddy,

Charlotte

6. Dear 4KM & 4KJ,

I very much enjoyed your post about two of Australia’s most famous marsupials! I have never seen either kangaroos or koalas, but I do know a little bit about them.

I know that red kangaroos have some pretty interesting ways of staying cool in the hot conditions of the outback. First, they have large, thin ears which help to get rid of extra heat. Also, they sometimes lick their forearms to coat them with saliva. They have a lot of blood vessels near the skin in their forearms, so as the saliva evaporates it cools the blood and cools the kangaroo! Here is a link to some videos from the BBC that shows how this works: Red Kangaroo Adaptations.

I know that koalas have lots of special adaptations that allow them to live comfortably in eucalyptus trees. First, their front feet are divided in a way so that they have two “thumbs” and three fingers. Here is a picture that shows this. This makes it easy for them to grip the branches. Also, the fur on their bottom is thicker and more wooly than the rest of their fur. This gives them a built-in cushion to sit on all day! I know I would want a cushion if I sat in a tree for 24 hours a day!

Hopefully I will travel to australia some day to see these amazing animals in real life. I would also really like to see a wombat and a wallaby.

Your blogging buddy,
    Mr. Salsich

• Hi Mr. Salsich,

Great comment!
      Hi I’m Eden and I am from 4KJ.
      Interesting fact’s about the Koala and Kangaroo, I want to see a Wombat and Wallaby I have never seen those 2 animals before. I have only seen a Kangaroo and an Koala.

Thank’s again for the great comment.

Bye for now,
      :mrgreen: Eden :mrgreen:

• Dear Mr Salsich,
      Thank you for commenting on our post I did not know that a red kangaroo has lots of blood vessels.I had a look at the picture of the koalas claws and thought it was Interesting that it has 5 claws on its frount paw.I have never seen a koalas claws before.

from Shayla

• Dear Ross Mannell,

Thanks for the great comment! I really liked the eastern grey kangaroos and Sapphire the koala.

I have never seen a kangaroo with my own eye although when I went to Echuca I saw a wild koala that was wounded. Strait away I called the vet and animal control.

Have you ever seen a wounded animal?

Sincerely
      😎 Leigh :cool

• Dear Leigh,

It is always wonderful to read about another person who cares about animals. In schools, most children knew if they found a wounded animal I would be the person to tell because they knew I would try to help it. I also saw many when hiking in the bush or along roads.

Over the years, I have seen many injured animals as well as many I found too late. There have been wombats, kangaroos, wallabies, magpies, seals, snakes, bats, lyrebirds, blue tongue lizards and many more. I once even delivered a red kangaroo joey to the Western Plains Zoo after it’s mother had been killed on the road.

It is sad how many animals are injured on roads every day.

Ross Mannell

7. Dear 4km and 4kj,
    Great Post!!!

I do know one fact about kola’s and its that their population has dropped 90% and now there are around 8,000 left. Also I have never seen a kola or a kangaroo but I really want to see them also if I could pet one I would.

Your blogging buddy,
    Brendan (In Mr. Salsich’s class) πŸ˜›

• Dear Brendan,

I am in 4KM and my name is Keira.

The koala fact you told me was actually really interesting and I had never herd that fact.

I have seen a koala and a kangaroo at the same time because we went camping with our friends, and at night time we saw both of them. The koala was climbing up a big huge gum tree and the kangaroo was hopping in the bush.

Have you ever seen one of your country animals?

Have you ever been to Australia?

Have you seen one of our Australian animals?

From your new blogging buddie,
      Keira in 4KM.

• Dear Keira,

Great comment! I have not seen any Australian animals but we do have a T.V. show that features an Australian animal and its a platypus. Also I have never been to Australia but I really want to visit if I can. I think it is really cool that you saw a kangaroo and a koala when you went camping because if you go camping here you dont see any koalas or kangaroos.

Finally, what is a gum tree??

Your new blogging buddy,
        Brendan (in Mr. Salsich’s class) :razz

8. Dear 4KM and 4KJ,

Great post. I love all of the Australian animals we have. I especially like the Kola because they are so cute and cuddly!
    I have never held an Australian animal before.

I don’t have any information for you, sorry. I think you said it all, well not all of it there is more information it is just I don’t have any for you, sorry.

Yes I have seen a Kola and a Kangaroo. I saw the Kola when I was camping in the woods. I saw a Kangaroo when I was looking out my window when my dad, my sister and I were coming back from the beach.There was eight Kangaroos near me really close when I was watching the water go down the waterfall, I was so scared! 😯

As I said up 3 paragraphs I like the Kola because they are cute and cuddly.

Got to go now.

Your blogging buddy,
    Meg (4KJ, Miss Jordan)

9. Dear 4KM and 4KJ,

Magnificent post! My favorite Australian animal is the koala because they are really cute. I wonder how the koalas sleep almost all day without getting famished. Do the koalas stock up on food the few hours that they are awake?

I also really like the kangaroo a lot, too. It was fascinating to learn that a kangaroo can run up to 44 mph. That is pretty fast! It was also very interesting that a male can be 6 feet. I didn’t know that a kangaroo could be red! Also, what is antilopine?

Can’t wait to read more of your posts!

Sincerely,
    Ivy (in Mr. Salsich’s class)

• Hi Ivy,

My name is Millie and I’m a student from 4KJ.

Great comment!

I love koaloas too, they’re so adorable! In the hours koalas aren’t sleeping they’re eating. They sleep for up to twenty hours a day and then the eat the rest of the day. Did you know that koalas don’t drink water because all the water they need is found in eucalyptus leaves? If you want to know more about koalas, here is a link. <ahref="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koalas
      Sorry if the link doesn’t work, it was my first time doing it.

An antilopine is a breed of kangaroo. The red kangaroo isn’t actually red, it’s a brown/orange. If you google red kangaroos, you’ll be able to see what they look like. I agree, 44 kph is very fast, especially for an animal!

Chat soon,
      Millie ♥

10. Dear 4KM and 4KJ,

Awesome job explaining the facts about the Koalas and the Kangaroos.One of my favorite Australian animals is the platypus.I like the platypus is because it swims fast in water and has a very cool clicking sound with it’s mouth.

Also Koalas are sort of like Sloths As you said Koalas sleep 20 hours a day and a Sloths sleep kind of the same amount. Koalas are slow and so is the Sloth.They also eat the same food leafs

From,
    Grant

• Dear Grant,

I very much enjoyed the post.

One of my favorite Australian animals is the platypus also. They do swim fast in water and has a clicking sound with it’s mouth too. It sounds similar when we click with our tongue, don’t you think?

Have you ever seen a koala or a kangaroo at a park before?

From

Mitchell B (4KM)

11. Dear 4KM and 4KJ,

it is interesting that someone in your class saw a little joey and met it.

From,
    Kali in Mr.Salsich’s class πŸ˜†
    P.S. My mom and dad went to Australia and my mom was getting a picture of a kangaroo and almost got kick by it.

• Hello Kali,
      It is cool that people get to meet special animals like kangaroos and koalas. When I was on holidays I went to South Australia and I saw a wild kangaroo behind our house. I also got to see a Bottle Nose Dolphin in the boat area.
      Have you met or seen any Australian animals?

From Yunus πŸ˜†

12. Dear 4KM and 4KJ,

Exellent post!

I have a stuffed koala toy named Andy that Ive had since I was 3. Other than that, I have been doing tons of reaserh on koalas.One fact is koalas almost never touch the ground .

From Bennett ( in mr salsichs class )

13. Hey 4KM and 4KJ,

My personal favourite Australian animal is a koala because they are just so cute and fluffy, I think that I am pretty good at drawing them too.

On the holidays I saw a mother and a baby koala in the wild in Portland. I wrote a post on my blog about my holiday writing and I wrote about it, if you want to see it click
    haille.global2.vic.edu.au to see.

From,
    Haille

14. Dear 4KM and 4KJ,
    What a great post about Australian animals. We learned a lot of interesting facts! We used the metre stick to show how tall a Red Kangaroo could be and we couldn’t believe our eyes! Wow, they are big!

Here are some of our questions and comments:

Lily-I have seen a koala at a zoo before. What is it like at Dreamworld? We looked at the website and it looks awesome.
    Brooklynn-Could a koala be a pet in your house? How many people in your class have seen a koala or a kangaroo? Was the kangaroo fuzzy?
    Jorja-Aren’t kangaroos really mean? My mom told me that they can be pretty dangerous.
    Lorren-I like koalas. They are really really cute and fuzzy.
    Kezra-I’m guessing that the koalas seemed really small when you got to hold them. Was it really fuzzy when you got to hold them?
    Koa-I have never seen a koala in my whole entire life, but I would like to.
    Bronwen-Why do kangaroos live longer in the zoo than in the wild. Here are our guesses:no predators, no hunters, plenty of food, medical care.

Your friends,
    Mrs. W and the K/1/2/3s

15. Hi Bennett,

My name is Millie and I am from 4KJ ( Miss Jordan’s class )

Thank-you for commenting on our post!

Iv’e got a stuffed toy koala at home too, but I got mine last year when we went camping in Apollo Bay ( a place in Victoria, Austrlia ) I also have a stuffed toy possum which I also got from Apollo Bay.

Did you know that koalas don’t drink water because all the water they need is in eucalyptus leaves?

From Millie ( 4KJ – Miss Jordan’s class )

16. Dear 4KM and 4KJ,
    I have seen a Koala before in a zoo nowhere else. I am also guessing when Mrs Jordan was holding the Koala she was snuggling it looked like it. Were the Koala and kangaroos soft and fuzzy?

From Jorja